Appel de Genève/Geneva Call is looking for a “Training Officer.”
About the Organisation:
In situations of armed conflict and violence, Geneva Call (GC), as a neutral, impartial and independent international humanitarian organisation, endeavours to strengthen the respect of humanitarian norms and principles by armed non-State actors, in order to improve the protection of civilians, while supporting local communities in their efforts to enhance their own protection.
GC is currently focusing its efforts the following thematic areas under the umbrella of international humanitarian norms – banning the use of anti-personnel mines, protecting children and education, prohibiting sexual violence and gender discrimination, prohibition of forced displacement, protection of cultural heritage and the protection of health care – all in the context of armed conflict and violence.
GC’s operations in the Philippines are currently focused on improving the protection of civilians in Maguindanao, North Cotabato and Lanao del Sur. Programming in adjacent areas – namely Bukidnon, Lanao del Norte, South Cotabato and Sultan Kudarat – is planned to commence within 2021.
Geneva Call consists of many diverse nationalities, cultures, languages and opinions. Geneva Call is an inclusive working environment for all its staff. Applications are particularly encouraged from all qualified candidates without distinction on the grounds of race, colour, sex, national origin, age, religion, disability, sexual orientation and gender identity.
The Training Officer will take the lead in designing and evaluating the methodology, modules and approaches for capacity-building of target groups and local partners, in consultation with project teams. The Training Officer will be expected to identify and make use of effective and innovative pedagogical techniques, while adapting to the local cultures and contexts in Mindanao. S/he will spend considerable time between GC’s programme office in Cotabato City, satellite office in Iligan City, and in the provinces during field activities.
- Identify capacity-building and development needs of target groups, local partners and Geneva Call staff;
- Develop and revise capacity-building material, based on MEAL data and contextualised to the relevant audience, including cultural sensitivities;
- Design and expand capacity-building methodologies based on the needs of the organisation;
- Support field teams in conducting capacity-building activities as needed;
- Work with Project Officers and Project Coordinators to develop monthly and quarterly training plans and monitor their implementation;
- Assist in the evaluation of capacity-building activities, identify areas for improvement and provide feedback to Project Officers and Project Coordinators;
- Capacity-building of Geneva Call staff and local partners on appropriate training methodology and tools;
- Research new technologies and methodologies in effective learning, particularly online and interactive means of capacity-building;
- Keep up to date with developments in training by reading relevant journals and attending meetings and relevant courses.
- Minimum 2 years equivalent work experience
Degree in IHL and human rights or related areas
Education in Islamic Law preferred
Fluency in English, both written and oral
Tagalog and local dialects (Maguindanaoan, Maranao, Teduray, Bisaya, Tausug, Yakan etc.) preferred
Conflict of interest
Any candidate affiliated to, or openly supporting, one or more interest groups opposed to the Foundation’s principles and values, or whose previous position could engender safety issues for co-workers at Appel de Genève / Geneva Call, will be excluded from this selection process.
The employee will be accountable for the responsibilities and the competencies, in accordance with the Geneva Call Performance Management guidelines. The following documents will be used for performance reviews:
- Job Description
- Action plan
- Performance Review Template
Contract duration: 1 October 2021 until 30 September 2022. The first two (2) months of the contract period is a probation period.
HOW TO APPLY:
To apply, please send your cover letter and CV in PDF format to firstname.lastname@example.org, ref: “Project Officer” no later than 3rd October 2021. All applications will be kept confidential. Please note only shortlisted candidates will be contacted for further process.