In situations of armed conflict, Geneva Call, as a neutral, impartial and independent international humanitarian organization, endeavors to strengthen the respect of humanitarian norms and principles by armed non-State actors, in order to improve the protection of civilians, while supporting local communities in their efforts to enhance their own protection. Appel de Genève/Geneva Call is a private, not-for-profit, humanitarian organization foundation under Swiss law, founded in 1998.
Geneva Call consists of many diverse nationalities, cultures, languages and opinions. Geneva Call is an inclusive working environment for all its staff. Applications are particularly encouraged from all qualified candidates without distinction on the grounds of race, colour, sex, national origin, age, religion, disability, sexual orientation and gender identity.
The Policy Coordinator contributes to the development of Geneva Call’s policy and positioning within the humanitarian community and represent Geneva Call in relevant fora. He/she works under the supervision of the Deputy Director of Operations.
Policy Development and guidance
- Track, analyze and advise on global policy and legal issues relevant to Geneva Call’s work in Africa
- Participate in developing internal policies and guidelines that guide Geneva Call’s action
- Contribute to the development of Geneva Call’s ANSA engagement strategies in African contexts
- Organize and facilitate training courses on IHL and humanitarian engagement with ANSAs directed to humanitarian professionals
External representation and outreach
- Engage with relevant humanitarian stakeholders, academic institutions and think tanks and build partnerships in Africa
- Write articles, posts and op-ed on issues relevant to Geneva Call’s work in African contexts
- Represent Geneva Call in relevant fora and debates in African contexts
- In accordance with the country strategies, plan and organize meetings and roundtable events on humanitarian engagement with ANSAs in African contexts
Program management and support
- Upon request of the Country Directors, participate to the grants design and management (including reports) on legal aspects
- Upon request of the Country Directors, support fundraising efforts of the African country offices.
- Support African country programs and offices on legal and policy related issues
- Assist Managers in day-to-day coordination and management of business activities.
- Assist in teams members and capacity building
- Report and support any issues in term of team management
- Provide direction and guidance to team members on legal issues
- Responsible for planning, implementation & delivery of activities
- Internal/External representation
Education and experience
- Advanced university degree in a relevant field (International Humanitarian Law or International Human Rights Law);
- At least 10 years of work experience in humanitarian action and policy, including relevant field experience in conflict areas
- Knowldge of the humanitarian system and community at large
- Proven experience in policy development and outreach;
- Proven experience in program management and fundraising
- French (C1-C2)
- English (C1-C2)
- Demonstrable computer literacy, including the MS package
- Writing and reporting skills
- Conceptual and analytic thinking
- Willingness to work independently and with minimum supervision, and as a part of a multicultural team;
- Ability to work under pressure and to handle multiple tasks simultaneously;
- Willingness to travel frequently to high risk locations, including conflict areas
Conflict of interest
Any candidate affiliated to, or openly supporting, one or more interest groups opposed to the Foundation’s principles and values, or whose previous position could engender safety issues for co-workers at Appel de Genève / Geneva Call, will be excluded from this selection process.
- Position : 100%
- Based in Mali (can be discussed) with travels within Sahel region
- Preferred start date : ASAP
To apply, please send your cover letter, CV, contact information of references, in PDF format to email@example.com, Ref: “Regional Legal Coordinator – Sahel” no later than May 31st, 2021.
All applications will be kept confidential. Please note only shortlisted candidate will be contacted for further process.