Appel de Genève / Geneva Call is looking for a : Project Officer – South Sudan
Geneva Call is a neutral and impartial non-governmental organization dedicated to promoting respect by armed non-State actors (ANSAs) for international humanitarian norms in armed conflict and other situations of violence, in particular those related to the protection of civilians. Geneva Call is currently focusing its efforts on banning the use of anti-personnel mines, protecting children from the effects of armed conflict, prohibiting sexual violence in armed conflict and working towards the elimination of gender discrimination.
Appel de Genève / Geneva Call is a private, not-for-profit humanitarian organization founded in 1998 under Swiss law.
In the Republic of South Sudan, Geneva Call implements activities aiming at a better protection of the civilian population. This includes liaising with armed stakeholders and communities.
The Project Officer will be in charge of the implementation of project activities as part of Geneva Call’s programme to enhance the protection of the civilian population in the Republic of South Sudan.
- Provide substantial input and expertise on IHL and IHRL in the South Sudanese context, to inform Geneva Call’s programme and activities;
- Implement Geneva Call’s activities in several regions of the country, conduct training and awareness sessions with armed actors at field level;
- Follow-up on humanitarian engagement with armed actors;
- Follow-up of partnerships with partner CSOs to raise awareness on IHL among communities;
- Monitor the security situation vis-à-vis Geneva Call, project partners and the project preparing risk assessments and suggesting mitigating measures;
- follow up of incidents as necessary.
The candidate should have an academic education (Master’s degree in social science, preferably in Political Science, Sociology, International Law, IHL).
A prior experience working with an international NGO (3 years);
A good access to all areas in the Republic of South Sudan.
Excellent English skills in writing and orally.
A prior experience of interacting with armed stakeholders.
A prior experience of interacting with religious leaders.
Conflict of interest
Any candidate affiliated to, or openly supporting, one or more interest groups opposed to the Foundation’s principles and values, or whose previous position could engender safety issues for co-workers at Appel de Genève / Geneva Call, will be excluded from this selection process.
- Position : Project Officer
- Time bound contract (1 year, with possibility to extend), based in South Sudan with movements at field level and few travels to Europe.
- Preferred start date : 15/11/2019
- South Sudanese citizen
- Location: Juba with frequent travels to the field in the country
To apply, please send your cover letter, CV, work certificate / recommendation letter and diploma in PDF format to email@example.com, Ref: “Project Officer – Republic of South Sudan”
no later than 30st of October 2019.
All applications will be kept confidential. Please note only shortlisted candidate will be contacted for further process.