Geneva Call is looking for a Project Officer/Country Researcher (100%), with a strong social science research profile.
The Project Officer/Country Researcher will divide his/her time between
- Undertaking research in the framework of the project Generating Respect for Humanitarian Norms: The Influence of Religious Leaders on Parties to Armed Conflict (50%)
- and implementation of project activities as part of Geneva Call’s programme to enhance the protection of the civilian population (50%).
Geneva Call is a partner organization in the Generating Respect project. The aim of the project is to examine the influence of religious stakeholders on armed actors’ respect of humanitarian norms.
- Provide substantial input and expertise on IHL and IHRL in the Libyan context, to inform Geneva Call’s programme and activities in Libya;
- Implement Geneva Call’s activities in Western Libya, notably, conduct training and awareness sessions with armed actors at field level;
- Follow-up on humanitarian engagement with armed actors,
- Follow-up of partnerships with partner CSOs to raise awareness on IHL among communities;
- Monitor the security situation vis-à-vis Geneva Call, project partners and the project preparing risk assessments and suggesting mitigating measures to the Country Director
- follow up of incidents as necessary;
- Implement activities in the framework of the Generating Respect project:
- Provide substantial input and expertise on IHL and IHRL in the Libyan context.
- Based on Geneva Call’s conflict analysis and mapping, the researcher will participate in the drafting of a religious leader’s mapping.
- Prepare, facilitate and conduct fieldwork (visits, meetings, interviews with various stakeholders including religious leaders and armed actors) with the support of Geneva Call’s Libya country team.
- Participate in the production of research outputs (reports, academic publications, digital stories) and support the local dissemination of the research findings and outputs.
- Participate in bi-monthly project team meetings over skype or zoom, and in one workshop per year.
For all activities related to the Generating Respect project, the researcher will be technically managed by the Project Coordinator. The researcher will also provide Geneva Call’s Libya Country Director with regular updates on results and with drafts of all research related documents (including detailed findings, the Libya report itself, but also monthly reporting).
The candidate should have a strong research profile (Master’s degree in social science, preferably in Political Science, Sociology, International Law, IHL).
A previous experience of researching on social science related issues/ undertaking fieldwork (interviews).
A prior experience working with an international NGO (3 years);
A good access to all areas in Libya.
Excellent Arabic and English.
Nice to have
A prior experience of interacting with armed stakeholders.
A prior experience of interacting with religious leaders.
Ability to write up applied research work for publication in a range of formats (academic articles, policy briefings, practitioners reports) and engage in public dissemination.
Conflict of interest
Any candidate affiliated to, or openly supporting, one or more interest groups opposed to the Foundation’s principles and values, or whose previous position could engender safety issues for co-workers at Appel de Genève / Geneva Call, will be excluded from this selection process.
- Position : Project Officer – researcher
- Time bound contract (1 year, with possibility to renew up to two years), based in Libya with movements at field level and few travels to Europe.
- 100% (50% Project Officer – 50% country Researcher)
- Preferred start date : 01/01/2020
To apply please send CV and motivation letter, references and diplomas at “firstname.lastname@example.org” under reference “Researcher Libya” before October 30th 2019
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.