Appel de Genève/Geneva Call is looking for a “Project Officer.”
About the Organisation:
In situations of armed conflict and violence, Geneva Call (GC), as a neutral, impartial and independent international humanitarian organisation, endeavours to strengthen the respect for humanitarian norms and principles by armed non-State actors, in order to improve the protection of civilians, while supporting local communities in their efforts to enhance their own protection.
GC is currently focusing its efforts the following thematic areas under the umbrella of international humanitarian norms – banning the use of anti-personnel mines, protecting children and education, prohibiting sexual violence and gender discrimination, prohibition of forced displacement, protection of cultural heritage and the protection of health care – specifically in the context of armed conflict and violence.
GC’s operations in the Philippines are currently focused on improving the protection of civilians in Maguindanao, North Cotabato and Lanao del Sur. Programming in adjacent areas – namely Bukidnon, Lanao del Norte, South Cotabato and Sultan Kudarat – is planned to commence within Q4 2021.
Geneva Call consists of many diverse nationalities, cultures, languages and opinions. Geneva Call is an inclusive working environment for all its staff. Applications are particularly encouraged from all qualified candidates without distinction on the grounds of race, colour, sex, national origin, age, religion, disability, sexual orientation and gender identity.
The Project Officer will support the design, planning and implementation of activities of GC in the Philippines for the ECHO-funded consortium project: “Preparedness for Protection in Southeast Asia”, in accordance with programme and budget plans, internal procedures and guidelines, as well as donor requirements. The project aims to strengthen the resilience of conflict-affected communities to face protection risks posed to vulnerable women, girls, boys, and men during humanitarian emergencies/crises in South East Asia. GC’s actions under this project specifically contribute to mitigating protection risks to communities vulnerable to conflict, by influencing armed non-State actors to prevent abuses and support humanitarian norms, as well as strengthening community-based protection advocacy in fragile communities in Mindanao.
The Project Officer will take the lead in implementing specific project activities in the field, such as awareness-raising, meetings, trainings, workshops and coordinating initiatives with partners, as well as monitoring and reporting on contextual developments.
- Planning, Implementation & Reporting
- Support development and implementation of approaches to promote civilian protection, increase respect for international humanitarian norms and prevent violence, particularly against children in conflict contexts in Maguindanao, North Cotabato, Bukidnon and Lanao del Sur;
- Participate in the drafting of project plans, budgets, and monitoring plans;
- Responsible for quality project implementation, incl. activities such as trainings and workshops, and monitoring in accordance with Geneva Call and donor work plans, budget and procedures;
- Monitor the implementation of project activities, outputs and outcomes, submitting required reporting and documentation accurately and on time, including supporting local partners in their reporting;
- Collect, analyse and document information relating to the context, conflict situation, humanitarian needs and potential impact on Geneva Call’s work in project area(s);
- Monitor the security situation vis-à-vis the project, project partners and Geneva Call, preparing risk assessments and suggesting mitigating measures and following up on incidents as necessary;
- Communications & External Relations
- Provide inputs to the design of innovative electronic (video, radio, social media) and print (booklets, posters, flyers etc.) communications materials adapted to the local context;
- Provide material (photos, videos, stories from the field) about project activities and timely reports to showcase achievements;
- Engage community-based stakeholders, local and international organizations regularly;
- Assist Project Coordinator, Head of Programme and/or Head of Mission in engaging senior officials and other key stakeholders; draft speaking points and messages for colleagues at Geneva Call;
- Administrative and Finance tasks
- Follow all administrative and finance procedures;
- Release resources to partners/projects as per approved plans and agreements and reimbursement and/or liquidation of project expenditures;
- Monitor and report on all project expenses of budgets and available funding, including supporting documents;
- Other Duties
- Attend and represent Geneva Call as required at conferences and other fora of interest to the organisation;
- Perform any other tasks as assigned by the line manager
- At least 3 years in a humanitarian/ civil society organisation working in conflict-affected areas.
- Completed degree of Higher Education in relevant field such as Political or Social Science, International Humanitarian Law or Human Rights.
- Excellent English and Tagalog required;
- Local dialects (Maguindanaoan, Maranao, Iranun, Bisaya, Hiligaynon, Higaonon, Bukid, T’boli, Teduray etc.) preferred..
Conflict of interest
Any candidate affiliated to, or openly supporting, one or more interest groups opposed to the Foundation’s principles and values, or whose previous position could engender safety issues for co-workers at Appel de Genève / Geneva Call, will be excluded from this selection process.
The employee will be accountable for the responsibilities and the competencies, in accordance with the Geneva Call Performance Management guidelines. The following documents will be used for performance reviews:
- Job Description
- Action plan
- Performance Review Template
Contract duration: Temporary TBD . The first two (2) months of the contract period is a probation period.
HOW TO APPLY:
To apply, please send your cover letter and CV in PDF format to email@example.com, ref: “Project Officer” no later than 3rd October 2021. All applications will be kept confidential. Please note only shortlisted candidates will be contacted for further process.