Background: Geneva Call is a neutral and impartial non-governmental organization dedicated to promoting respect for international humanitarian norms by armed non-State actors (ANSA) in armed conflict and other situations of violence, in order to improve the protection of civilians, while supporting local communities in their efforts to enhance their own protection.
Geneva Call is currently focusing its efforts the following thematic areas under the umbrella of international humanitarian norms: banning the use of anti-personnel mines, protecting children and education from the effects of armed conflict, prohibiting sexual violence and gender discrimination in armed conflict, prohibition of forced displacement, protection of cultural heritage and the protection of health care.
Current areas of Geneva Call’s operations in the Philippines are focused on Maguindanao, North Cotabato and Lanao del Sur. Expansion to adjacent provinces is expected within 2021.
Position: Project Officer
Location of work: Cotabato City, the Philippines, with frequent travel to the field
Main Objective: The Project Officer contributes to the operations of Geneva Call by supporting the design, planning and implementation of initiatives according to programme and budget plans, internal procedures and guidelines as well as donor requirements. S/he is expected to take the lead with specific project activities in the field, such as awareness-raising, meetings, trainings, workshops and coordinating initiatives with traditional/religious leaders and civil society partners as well as monitoring and reporting on contextual developments.
Role: The Project Officer reports to the Project Coordinator and interacts with Admin/Finance/HR within the organisation; engages externally with local and international civil society/NGOs, field-based stakeholders such as religious leaders, communities, as well as civilian and military authorities and ANSAs subject to Head of Mission’s (HoM) approval.
- Planning, Implementation & Reporting
In consultation with the Project Coordinator:
- Support development and implementation of approaches to promote civilian protection and respect for international humanitarian norms in conflict contexts in Central Mindanao;
- Participate in the drafting of project plans, budgets, and monitoring plans;
- Responsible for quality project implementation, incl. activities such as trainings and workshops, and monitoring in accordance with Geneva Call and donor work plans, budget and procedures;
- Monitor and report on the implementation of all project activities, outputs and outcomes, submitting required reporting and documentation accurately and on time including supporting local partners in their reporting;
- Manage safe-keeping of information and knowledge, including filing of programme documents and materials;
- Collect and analyse information relating to the context, conflict situation, humanitarian needs and potential impact on Geneva Call’s work in project area(s);
- Monitor the security situation vis-à-vis the project, project partners and Geneva Call, preparing risk assessments and suggesting mitigating measures following up on incidents as necessary;
- Conduct research into specific humanitarian issues as well as policies, practices and values (religious, ideological, cultural etc.) of conflict parties to analyse trends and support arguments to improve compliance with humanitarian norms;
- Communications & External Relations
In coordination with the Project Coordinator and/or Head of Mission:
- Support design and production of innovative electronic (video, radio, social media) and print (booklets, posters, flyers etc.) communications materials adapted to the local context;
- Provide material (photos, videos, stories from the field) about project activities and timely reports to showcase project outcomes and achievements;
- Engage community-based stakeholders, local and international organizations regularly;
- Assist HoM and Project Coordinator in engaging senior officials and other key stakeholders; draft speaking points and messages for colleagues at Geneva Call;
- Administrative and Finance tasks
With support of the Admin/Finance Officer:
- Follow all administrative and finance procedures;
- Release resources to partners/projects as per approved plans and agreements and reimbursement and/or liquidation of project expenditures;
- Monitor and report on all project expenses of budgets and available funding, including supporting documents;
- Other Duties
- Attend and represent Geneva Call as required at conferences and other fora of interest to the organisation;
- Perform any other tasks as assigned by the line manager.
- Completed degree of Higher Education in relevant field such as Islamic Studies, Political or Social Science, International Humanitarian Law or Human Rights
- At least 3 years in a humanitarian/human rights/protection organisation working in conflict-affected areas;
- Experience in reporting, monitoring and research;
- Experience in community organising;
- Knowledge of and/or work experience in International Humanitarian Law and Human Rights Law;
- Knowledge of and/or work experience in Islamic Law;
- Knowledge of and/or work experience in Protection;
- Knowledge and experience in designing and implementing capacity-building programmes;
- Demonstrable knowledge of humanitarian issues and capacity for in-depth analysis;
- Experience in developing professional relationships with various stakeholders and working in a neutral and objective manner;
- Experience working with civil society and international organisations preferred;
- IT tools (MS office, Excel, Email, social media)
- Required: Excellent English and Tagalog;
- Preferred: Fluency in Maguindanaoan, Teduray, Maranao, Iranun, Bisaya
- Personal qualities
- Understanding and respect for organizational principles, vision, mission and confidentiality;
- Strong logic and organizational skills, flexibility and adaptability to change;
- Ability to take responsibility, proactive and efficient functioning, strong communication skills;
- Ability to work independently as well as in a team and multicultural environment;
- Accuracy and reliability, ability to meet deadlines under pressure;
Conflict of interest
**Any candidate affiliated to or openly supporting one or more interest groups contrary to the principles and values of the Foundation, or whose previous activity could cause difficulties for the safety of women and men co-workers at Geneva Call will be excluded from this selection process. The employee will be accountable for the responsibilities and the competencies, in accordance with the Geneva Call Performance Management guidelines. The following documents will be used for performance reviews:
- Job Description
- Action plan
- Performance Review Template Conditions
Position: 100%. Contract duration: 1 May 2021 until 31 December 2021. The first two (2) months of the contract period is a probation period.
HOW TO APPLY:
To apply, please send your cover letter and CV in PDF format to email@example.com, ref: “Project Officer -Cotabato” no later than 12 April 2021. All applications will be kept confidential. Please note only shortlisted candidates will be contacted for further process.