Geneva Call is a neutral and impartial non-governmental organization dedicated to promoting respect for international humanitarian norms in armed conflict and other situations of violence. Geneva Call is currently focusing its efforts on banning the use of anti-personnel mines, protecting children and education, prohibiting sexual violence, protecting healthcare as well as cultural heritage in armed conflict.
Geneva Call has been engaged in the Philippines since 2000 to promote humanitarian norms among armed actors and communities. In 2018, Geneva Call established a physical presence in the Philippines with an office in Cotabato City.
The Project Coordinator will provide technical oversight for Geneva Call (GC) project activities under the Project: Local Calls for Respect for International Humanitarian Norms. The project is focused on supporting the capacity of local civil society organisations (CSOs) and religious leaders to effectively and safely advocate for increased compliance with international humanitarian norms – international humanitarian law (IHL) and international human rights law (IHRL) relevant to armed conflict – and related Islamic Laws by armed non-State actors (ANSAs) in the complex conflict situations in Maguindanao and Lanao provinces and adjacent areas.
The Coordinator will also provide technical line management for a Project Consultant to be hired to take the lead with project activities in Lanao, while her/himself taking the lead in implementing project activities in Maguindanao/Cotabato. S/he will ensure that the project meets its objectives and deliverables quantitatively, qualitatively and within the prescribed timeframe and budget following internal procedures and donor requirements.
In addition, the Project Coordinator is expected to contribute to the design, planning and implementation of other initiatives as part of the overall Philippines country programme.
For all tasks: The job holder respects the confidentiality of all programmatic, administrative, financial and HR information.
- Responsible for continuous assessments of the security situation vis-à-vis the project, project partners, beneficiaries and Geneva Call, preparing risk assessments and suggesting mitigating measures following up on incidents as necessary;
- Ensure project staff follow Geneva Call’s security policies and protocols.
II. Project Coordination
Supported by the Project Consultant:
- Lead in the drafting of monthly programme plans, budgets, and monitoring plans;
- Responsible for quality project planning, implementation, monitoring and evaluation in accordance with Geneva Call and donor work plans, budget and procedures;
- Ensure reporting on the implementation of all project activities, outputs and outcomes, submitting required reporting and documentation accurately and on time including supporting the local partners in their reporting and ensuring their reports follow GC formats;
- Ensure partner capacities are assessed before project implementation and appropriate support is provided to fill identified gaps;
- Manage project activity- related budget and assets as per GC procedures and donor requirements;
- Provide technical line management to Project Consultant in Lanao;
- Contribute to transparent and timely project related financial management respecting deadlines and procedures;
- Manage safe-keeping of information and knowledge, including filing of programme documents;
- Oversee the collection and analysis of information relating to the context, conflict situation, humanitarian needs and potential impact on Geneva Call’s work in project area(s);
- Ensure sufficient research is done into specific humanitarian issues as well as policies, practices and values (religious, ideological, cultural etc.) of conflict parties to analyse trends and support arguments to improve compliance with humanitarian norms
- Ensure conflict sensitivity is integrated into the project design and implementation;
- Contribute to GC resource management and program implementation and activities as part of the overall Philippines country programme;
- Suggest partnerships with relevant organisations/agencies;
III. Communications & External relations
In coordination with Head of Mission:
- Engage local and international organizations regularly;
- Assist HoM in engaging senior officials and other key stakeholders; draft speaking points and messages for HoM and other colleagues at Geneva Call;
- Ensure the production of innovative communications materials adapted to the local context;
- Ensure material (photos, videos, stories from the field) about project activities and timely reports to showcase project outcomes and achievements;
- Support implementation of communications strategy including activities, campaigns, events and other initiative.
IV. Other Duties
- Attend and represent Geneva Call as required at conferences and other fora of interest to the organisation;
- Perform any other tasks as assigned by the line manager.
Professional and Personal Qualifications
- Completed degree of Higher Education in relevant field such as Islamic Studies, Political or Social Science, International Humanitarian Law or Human Rights
- Excellent English and Tagalog required
- Maguindanaoan and Maranao an advantage
Technical knowledge or experience in
- IT Tools (MS Office, Excel, email);
- Islamic Law, Human Rights Law, International Humanitarian Law;
- In-depth knowledge of the context in Central Mindanao and Lanao region
- Protection or humanitarian experience;
- Designing and implementing training programmes;
- Project planning, monitoring, reporting and evaluation;
- Managing projects and teams
- Understanding and respect for organizational principles and confidentiality;
- Strong logic and organizational skills, flexibility and adaptability to change;
- Leadership qualities;
- Ability to take responsibility, strong communication skills;
- Ability to work independently as well as in a team;
- Proven ability to work well with colleagues and external stakeholders from a wide range of ethnic/cultural backgrounds;
- Accuracy and reliability, ability to meet deadlines under pressure;
- Drive for results
Conflict of interest
**Any candidate affiliated to or openly supporting one or more interest groups contrary to the principles and values of the Foundation, or whose previous activity could cause difficulties for the safety of women and men co-workers at Geneva Call will be excluded from this selection process. The employee will be accountable for the responsibilities and the competencies, in accordance with the Geneva Call Performance Management guidelines. The following documents will be used for performance reviews:
- Job Description
- Action plan
- Performance Review Template
Position: 100%. Contract duration: 1 July – 31 December 2020.
HOW TO APPLY:
To apply, please send your cover letter and CV in PDF format to email@example.com, ref: “Project Coordinator” no later than 24 June 2020.
All applications will be kept confidential. Please note only shortlisted candidates will be contacted for further process.