Geneva Call is a neutral and impartial non-governmental organization dedicated to promoting respect for international humanitarian norms in armed conflict and other situations of violence. Geneva Call is currently focusing its efforts on banning the use of anti-personnel mines, protecting children and education, prohibiting sexual violence, protecting healthcare as well as cultural heritage in armed conflict.
Geneva Call has been engaged in the Philippines since 2000 to promote humanitarian norms among armed actors and communities. In 2018, Geneva Call established a physical presence in the Philippines with an office in Cotabato City.
Main Objective: The Project officer contributes to the operations of Geneva Call in the Lanao provinces by supporting the design, planning and implementation of initiatives according to programme and budget plans, internal procedures and guidelines as well as donor requirements. S/he is expected to take the lead with specific project activities in the field, such as awareness-raising, meetings, trainings, workshops and coordinating initiatives with religious leaders and civil society partners as well as monitoring and reporting on contextual developments.
For all tasks: The job holder respects the confidentiality of all programmatic, administrative, financial and HR information.
- Monitor the security situation vis-à-vis the project, project partners and Geneva Call, preparing risk assessments and suggesting mitigating measures following up on incidents as necessary;
- Planning, Coordination & Reporting
In consultation with the Project Coordinator:
- Participate in the drafting of monthly programme plans, budgets, and monitoring plans;
- Responsible for quality project implementation and monitoring in accordance with Geneva Call and donor work plans, budget and procedures;
- Monitor and report on the implementation of all project activities, outputs and outcomes, submitting required reporting and documentation accurately and on time including supporting local partners in their reporting and ensuring their reports follow GC formats;
- Ensure partner capacities are assessed before project implementation and appropriate support is provided to fill identified gaps;
- Manage safe-keeping of information and knowledge, including filing of programme documents;
- Collect and analyse information relating to the context, conflict situation, humanitarian needs and potential impact on Geneva Call’s work in project area(s) and relay this to Project Coordinator;
- Conduct research into specific humanitarian issues as well as policies, practices and values (religious, ideological, cultural etc.) of conflict parties to analyse trends and support arguments to improve compliance with humanitarian norms
III. Communications & External relations
In coordination with Project Coordinator:
- Engage local and international organizations regularly;
- Assist HoM in engaging senior officials and other key stakeholders; draft speaking points and messages for HoM and other colleagues at Geneva Call;
- Support design and production of innovative communications materials adapted to the local context in coordination with Project Coordinator and Communications team;
- Provide material (photos, videos, stories from the field) about project activities and timely reports to showcase project outcomes and achievements;
- Support implementation of communications strategy including activities, campaigns, events and other initiative.
- Other Duties
- Attend and represent Geneva Call as required at conferences and other fora of interest to the organisation
- Perform any other tasks as assigned by the line manager
Technical knowledge or experience in :
- IT Tools (MS Office, Excel, email);
- Reporting, monitoring and research;
- Islamic Law, Human Rights Law, International Humanitarian Law;
- In-depth knowledge of stakeholders relevant to the Lanao provinces;
- Protection or humanitarian experience;
- Designing and implementing training programmes
- Completed degree of Higher Education in relevant field such as Islamic Studies, Political or Social Science, International Humanitarian Law or Human Rights
Excellent English, Tagalog and Maranao
- Understanding and respect for organizational principles and confidentiality;
- Strong logic and organizational skills, flexibility and adaptability to change;
- Ability to take responsibility, strong communication skills;
- Ability to work independently as well as in a team;
- Accuracy and reliability, ability to meet deadlines under pressure;
- Drive for results
Position: 100%. Contract duration: 1 August – 31 January 2021. Probation period: 2 months.
TO APPLY : Please send your cover letter and CV in PDF format to email@example.com, ref: “Project officer Lanao” no later than August 10th, 2020. All applications will be kept confidential. Please note only shortlisted candidates will be contacted for further process