In situations of armed conflict, Geneva Call, as a neutral, impartial and independent international humanitarian organization, endeavors to strengthen the respect of humanitarian norms and principles by armed non-State actors, in order to improve the protection of civilians, while supporting local communities in their efforts to enhance their own protection. Appel de Genève/Geneva Call is a private, not-for-profit, humanitarian organization foundation under Swiss law, founded in 1998.
Geneva Call consists of many diverse nationalities, cultures, languages and opinions. Geneva Call is an inclusive working environment for all its staff. Applications are particularly encouraged from all qualified candidates without distinction on the grounds of race, colour, sex, national origin, age, religion, disability, sexual orientation and gender identity.
Role and responsibilities
Fundraising support and proposal writing
- Monitor programme funding opportunities and potential partners in the various sectors of interest for Geneva Call. Regularly track donor, potential donor, and umbrella websites for Requests for Applications (RFAs) and proposal submission opportunities for Geneva Call’s core competency areas for the programme.
- Conduct background research on programme proposal opportunities to determine Geneva Call’s competitiveness and strategic positioning.
- Assist in the collection and analysis of information necessary for innovative and responsive proposals which the programme has decided to pursue.
- As assigned, serve as primary proposal writer, drafting, editing, and ensuring final production of competitive proposal for submission to donor; use writing skills to transform technical content and conceptual design into polished final proposals that are responsive to donor guidelines.
- As assigned, lead programme proposal development processes and proposal response teams, serving as overall goal owner, ensuring timely and efficient submission of quality competitive proposals, and working with teams of technical, programme, donor relationship, and management staff.
- Contribute to GC’s country fundraising strategy as requested by the Country Director.
- Works with the programme team and the donor relationship/finance department to produce accurate and timely reports to deliver to donors.
- Ensure that programme grant deadlines and other requirements in the grant process are met.
- Maintains a record keeping system to track programme grant deadlines, dates and future activities required to secure funding.
Coordination of representation and advocacy
- Coordinate the representation Geneva Call (GC) at the different levels, while engaging with relevant stakeholders in the country (and, occasionally, globally) such as targeted countries, EU institutions, locally based NGOs, donor representations, etc;
- Plan and accompany meetings with the Country Director.
- Train and build capacities of programme teams and Country Director on how to engage with donors and in the development of messages adapted to each donor.
- Support the planning of and participate in donors’ in-country advocacy.
- Contribute to and/or lead the organisation of advocacy visits or events (including operational briefings, expert roundtables, conferences, etc.).
- Design a communication strategy and plan for the country programme.
- Map and develop a network of communication related stakeholders for the programme (medias, influencers..)
- Produce programme communication materials.
- Coordinate the implementation of the programme communication plan.
- Contribute to maintain and develop Geneva Call’s communication tools with the central communication team.
- Lead the organization of programme related events.
- Track performance indicators of programme’s communication and fundraising activities.
- Experience of successfully supporting fundraising and dealing with institutional donors
- Proven track record of working in a similar role with an International NGO
- Strong presentation, interpersonal, and monitoring/research skills
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Understanding of financial reporting
To be successful in this role, you need to have:
- A Master’s degree or equivalent work experience in the humanitarian/development areas
- 5 years experience in fundraising, monitoring, reporting and grant and/or contract management preferred
- Excellent English and French language skills (both written and oral)
- Good team player and facilitator of team work
- Ability to adapt and be flexible in a dynamic work environment
- Organized, attentive to details, and with a positive and professional demeanor
- Availability to travel
Conflict of interest
Any candidate affiliated to, or openly supporting, one or more interest groups opposed to the Foundation’s principles and values, or whose previous position could engender safety issues for co-workers at Appel de Genève / Geneva Call, will be excluded from this selection process.
All Geneva Call employees are expected to work in accordance with the organization’s core values: humanity, impartiality, accountability, dedication and respect. These attitudes and beliefs shall guide our actions and relationships.
The employee will be accountable for the responsibilities and the competencies, in accordance with the Geneva Call Performance Management guidelines. The following documents will be used for performance reviews:
- Job Description
- Action plan
- Performance Review Template
- Position 100%
- Preferred start date : June 2021
To apply, please send your cover letter, CV, work certificate / recommendation letter and diploma in PDF format to email@example.com, Ref: “Programme Funding and Outreach” no later than 31st May 2021.
All applications will be kept confidential. Please note only shortlisted candidate will be contacted for further process.