Appel de Genève/Geneva Call is looking for a “Head of Region – NAME”
In situations of armed conflict, Geneva Call, as a neutral, impartial and independent international humanitarian organization, endeavors to strengthen the respect of humanitarian norms and principles by armed non-State actors, in order to improve the protection of civilians. Appel de Genève/Geneva Call is a private, not-for-profit, humanitarian organization foundation under Swiss law, founded in 2000.
Leading Geneva Call operations at the regional level
- Analyse strategic-level trends related to armed conflicts and other situations of violence as well as broader geo-political developments to support the achievement of Geneva Call’s overall objectives and initiate and develop operations according to Geneva Call’s operational frameworks and means.
- Lead and supervise her/his team working in the region to ensure effective use of resources to ensure that the objectives of Geneva Call’s operational strategy are implemented in her/his region.
- Contribute to Geneva Call’s new operational framework agenda, in particular the devolution of responsibility to the field with a view to increasing the organization’s agility and effectiveness by the creation of field structures and accompany their development.
- Ensure the appropriate design, implementation, monitoring, review, and evaluation of Geneva Call’s regional field operations, in line with Geneva Call programmatic guidelines with a focus on planning and results based management.
- Ensure that already existing programmes/projects in countries where there is no dedicated Programme Manager are followed up.
Developing and nurturing a network of high level regional stakeholders
- Ensure that a network of relevant armed on-State actors (ANSA) is well mapped at a regional level with clear engagement opportunities for Geneva Call operations.
- Engage frequently with high-level stakeholders such as ANSA leadership, State authorities, political and religious leaders, international organisations to secure appropriate support for Geneva Call operations.
- Actively contribute to Geneva Call’s public communication, raising awareness about the work of the organization in a way that reinforces our influence, access and response.
- Represent Geneva Call in regional forums and other venues, when relevant for the organization.
- Ensure that durable and sustainable partnerships are created and developed, in line with Geneva Call’s partnership policy, with other organizations (local or international) with the aim of facilitating and strengthening the work of Geneva Call in the field.
Developing and maintaining a sustainable access, safety and security
- Maintain and strengthen Geneva Call’s role as a neutral, impartial and independent humanitarian actor, positioning the organization and its operations within the region with a view to gaining maximum access to ANSAs, influential stakeholders and affected populations.
- Ensure that Geneva Call staff is working safely and in accordance with the appropriate security guidelines, make sure that duty of care is applied when working with other partners.
- Set up and lead security crisis cells whenever needed with the support of Director of Operations and concerned support departments as per security guidelines
Contributing to the overall direction of the organization
- As a member of the team lead by the Director of Operations, help to define the general direction and overall strategy of Geneva Call operations and ensure the implementation of priorities outlined in the organization’s institutional strategy. Work closely with other Heads of Regions and PLU and participate in workshops and other internal meetings as appropriate.
- With the support of the Director of Operations and the Communication and External Relations department and FIN/ADMIN department, responsible of ensuring that all projects and programs in her/his region are being financed for the concerned region . Management responsibilities
With the support of Admin department
- Identify staffing needs, assisting in the recruitment process, selecting and managing (including coaching and evaluating) staff assigned to the region
- Supervise the Program Managers working in her/his region and any other staff when relevant.
- Ensure the necessary information is gathered to assess engagement potential, monitor the implementation of activities, revise activities according to new developments and evaluate the impact of programs.
- Ensure the timely and accurate preparation of the region’s yearly work plans, budgets, monitoring formats, and donor proposals and reports.
- A relevant Master degree is required or equivalent experience, knowledge of International Humanitarian law is an asset
Experience – Skills
- A minimum of 10 years of operational experience in the humanitarian field preferably in conflict affected countries, including in management positions
- Strong knowledge of the region politics
- Proven experience in crisis and security management •Experience of capacity building and mentoring, team leadership and management
- Strong knowledge of project management cycles, fundraising concepts
- Strong organizational and reporting skills.
- Outstanding interpersonal skills with experience of negotiation with weapon bearers and other high level stakeholders. Demonstrable experience of engaging with ANSAs would be an asset
- Strong communication skills (both written and verbal) at the level appropriate for high level external representation and ability to tailor communications to different audiences.
- Excellent ability to analyse information, evaluate options and to think and plan strategically
- Ability to work under pressure, travel frequently in conflict-affected countries and to handle numerous tasks simultaneously.
English fluency, arabic a strong asset, other language is a plus
To apply, please send your cover letter, CV, work certificate/recommendation letter and diploma in PDF format to firstname.lastname@example.org, Ref: “HOR NAME” no later than 31.01.2020.