About Geneva Call:
In situations of armed conflict and violence, Geneva Call (GC), as a neutral, impartial and independent international humanitarian organisation, endeavours to strengthen the respect of humanitarian norms and principles by armed non-State actors, in order to improve the protection of civilians, while supporting local communities in their efforts to enhance their own protection.
GC is currently focusing its efforts the following thematic areas under the umbrella of international humanitarian norms – banning the use of anti-personnel mines, protecting children and education, prohibiting sexual violence and gender discrimination, prohibition of forced displacement, protection of cultural heritage and the protection of health care – all in the context of armed conflict and violence.
Geneva Call consists of many diverse nationalities, cultures, languages and opinions. Geneva Call is an inclusive working environment for all its staff. Applications are particularly encouraged from all qualified candidates without distinction on the grounds of race, colour, sex, national origin, age, religion, disability, sexual orientation and gender identity.
Mission/ Mission: Geneva call HQ – Operations unit is actively working on implementing the mission of Geneva Call through the different contexts around the world.
Overall activities : Head of Region is responsible of leading the operations of Geneva Call in the Horn and Eastern Africa (South Sudan, Sudan, DRC ) and looking into developing operations in other countries of the region (Ethiopia, Somalia, Mozambique…). Lead regional advocacy and fundraising efforts with regional actors in Addis Abeba and Nairobi.
The position may be located in Nairobi or similar regional humanitarian hub during the year 2022.
Managing line : Managing line: Director of Operations
Peers: other Heads of Region, Deputy Director of Operations and Head of support units (HR, FIN, COMRELEX)
General description and main activities
1 – Leading GC Operations at regional level
Analyse regional strategic-level trends related to armed conflicts and other situations of violence, and broader geo-political developments to support the achievement of Geneva Call’s overall objectives.
Initiate and develop operations according to Geneva Call’s operational frameworks and means
Looking at developing operations in new contexts such as Ethiopia and Somalia
Contribute to Geneva Call’s new operational framework agenda particularly regarding the responsibilities’ devolution to the field to increase the organization’s agility and effectiveness by creating field structures and accompanying their development.
Ensure the appropriate design, implementation, monitoring, review, and evaluation of Geneva Call’s regional field operations, in line with Geneva Call programmatic guidelines (with a focus on plans and results management).
2 – Ensure adequate funding and use of region’s resources
Responsible of ensuring that all projects and programmes in the region are being adequately financed. Responsible for the overall budget for the concerned region.
Explore fundraising opportunities at regional level and ensure the follow up with the Fundraising department
3 – Develop and maintain high level regional stakeholders’ network
Maintain and strengthen Geneva Call’s role as a neutral, impartial and independent humanitarian actor, positioning the organization and its operations within the region to gain maximum access to ANSAs, influential stakeholders and affected populations.
Engage frequently with high-level stakeholders such as ANSA leadership, State authorities, political and religious leaders, international organisations to secure appropriate support for Geneva Call operations.
Actively contribute to Geneva Call’s public communication, raising awareness about the work of the organization in a way that reinforces our influence, access and response.
4 – Develop and maintain safety and security of region
Ensure that Geneva Call staff is working safely and in accordance with the appropriate security guidelines
Make sure that duty of care is applied when working with other partners
Set up and lead security crisis cells whenever needed with the Director of Operations’ support and concerned support departments as per security guidelines
5 – Contribute to GC global direction
As a member of the management team led by the Director of Operations, help to define the general direction and overall strategy of Geneva Call operations. Ensure the implementation of priorities outlined in the organization’s institutional strategy. Work closely with other Heads of Regions and PLU and participate in workshops and other internal meetings as appropriate.
Key Priorities, Deliverables or Outcomes Expected
1 – Management
- Identify staffing needs, assisting in the recruitment process, selecting and managing (including coaching and evaluating) staff assigned to the region
- Ensure a good work environment and management tools are implemented
2 – Compliance
Education and experience
- Graduate degree or equivalent experience in human rights/humanitarian field
- At least 10 years of relevant field experience in a humanitarian organization with a focus on protection of civilians, prevention.
- working in conflict areas, including in managing teams of at least 20 people.
- Advanced degree in International Relations or International Humanitarian Law and Human Rights Law, political sciences or a related professional experience
- Demonstrable experience of engaging with Armed Actors would be an asset;
- Solid project management skills related to organizational development projects and international, cross-functional teams with a proven history of delivering results
- Excellent dispute resolution, facilitation and team building skills
- Substantial knowledge of international development systems, institutions and donors, and of procedures, accountability frameworks and best practices
- Robust experience in developing and implementing organizational vision and strategies.
- Fluent English
- French is an asset
- Other language is a plus
- Demonstrated ability to thrive in a matrix management environment. Highly developed interpersonal and communication skills including influencing, negotiation and coaching
- Strong communications skills (both written and verbal) at a level appropriate for high level external representation and ability to tailor communications to different audiences
- Outstanding interpersonal skills with experience of negotiation with weapon bearers and other high level stakeholders
To apply, please send your cover letter and CV in PDF format to email@example.com, ref: “Head of Region Horn of Africa” no later than October 17, 2021. All applications will be kept confidential. Please note only shortlisted candidates will be contacted for further process.