Geneva Call is a neutral and impartial non-governmental organization dedicated to promoting respect by Armed Actors for international humanitarian norms in armed conflict and other situations of violence, in particular those related to the protection of civilians. Geneva Call is currently focusing its efforts on protection of civilians and civilian infrastructure, protecting children from the effects of armed conflict, humanitarian access, prohibiting sexual violence in armed conflict and working towards the elimination of gender discrimination.
Appel de Genève / Geneva Call is a private, not-for-profit humanitarian organization founded in 1998 under Swiss law.
Geneva Call consists of many diverse nationalities, cultures, languages and opinions. Geneva Call is an inclusive working environment for all its staff. Applications are particularly encouraged from all qualified candidates without distinction on the grounds of race, colour, sex, national origin, age, religion, disability, sexual orientation and gender identity.
In Syria, Geneva Call has been working for about 7 years engaging with wide range of Armed Non-State Actors ANSAs across the country and communities as a mean to create space for dialogue on the protection of civilians. Geneva Call cooperates with and supports a range of partners across the country.
To ensure development of and implementation of the country program in Syria. This includes strategic planning, engagement with partners, donors, and other stakeholders, and management of program staff.
The Head of Program reports to the Country Director in Syria
Programme Management & Coordination
- Coordinate, develop and manage the Syria program in accordance with annual work plan and defined procedures of Geneva Call;
- Manage program staff and ensure timely reporting;
- Ensure effective flow of information and communication with partners and stakeholders and update Head of Mission (HoM) on latest developments;
- Organize regular meetings with the team to strengthen effective coordination and collaboration and promote teambuilding;
- Regularly conduct field missions and monitor activities to achieve desired program results in line with organizational requirements;
- Manage safe-keeping of information and data, including filing of program documents and materials;
- Support partners and joint projects as per approved plans and agreements and ensure timely liquidation of project expenditures;
- Liaise with partner organizations and stakeholders to ensure close cooperation, collaboration and coordination in the field;
- Analyze conflict and humanitarian situation on regular basis;
- Assist management team in engaging senior officials, military officers, relevant government officials and other key stakeholders;
- Engage local and international organizations regularly and consolidate friends of IHL Network;
- Assist in draft project reports and proposals in coordination with focal points from country office in Syria and headquarters;
Human Resource Management
- Line manage programme staff according to Geneva Call’s policies and procedures;
- Assist in the recruitment and selection processes (including coaching and evaluation) of staff and consultants.
- Assess capacities of local partner organizations and provide appropriate trainings;
Planning, Monitoring & Reporting
- Develop programme work plan and budget in consultation with program team according to Geneva Call’s operational and MEAL procedures;
- Prepare regular monitoring reports and support MEAL officer in conducting internal programme evaluations and audits;
- Take lead in conducting annual review of programme/projects of responsibility.
- Refine programme strategy in consonance with political and security dynamics;
- Support programme and partner staff in implementation of MEAL system;
- Monitor the security situation vis-à-vis the program, prepare risk assessments and on advice of head of mission apply mitigation measures and follow up on incidents as necessary;
- Produce regular security updates and participate in bi annual security audit of the programme;
- Assist the CD in representations and meetings and take lead in absence of CD;
- Support management team in implementing communication strategy of Geneva Call in Syria;
- Organize and prepare all programme related external communications in coordination with communication officer;
- Attend and represent Geneva Call as required at conferences, seminars and other foras of interest to the organisation;
- Perform any other tasks as assigned by the line manager;
- Completed Master Degree in relevant field such as Political or Social Science, International Humanitarian Law or Human Rights
- Excellent English required
- Arabic is strongly preferred
While the position is open, Arabic Speakers are encouraged to apply
- High level program management skills including program planning, implementation, monitoring and evaluation;
- Strong presentational, writing and editing skills English;
- Arabic is a strong asset
- Strong budgeting and finance monitoring skills;
- Report/proposal writing and Project management skills;
- Demonstrable knowledge of issues of humanitarian affairs and capacity for political analysis;
- Strong communication and people management skills
Minimum 5 years equivalent work experience in a humanitarian organization, including in managing teams of at least 10 people; Experience of capacity building and mentoring, team leadership and management; Demonstrated skills and experience in security management.
Liaises with ANSAs, local authorities, local and international civil society/NGOs; field-based stakeholders; tribal and traditional leaders; communities, Represents GC among external stakeholders.
Conflict of interest
Any candidate affiliated to, or openly supporting, one or more interest groups opposed to the Foundation’s principles and values, or whose previous position could engender safety issues for co-workers at Appel de Genève / Geneva Call, will be excluded from this selection process.
The employee will be accountable for the responsibilities and the competencies, in accordance with the Geneva Call Performance Management guidelines. The following documents will be used for performance reviews:
- Job Description
- Action plan
- Performance Review Template
- Position : Head of Programs
- Preferred start date : 07.2021
To apply, please send your cover letter, CV, work certificate / recommendation letter and diploma in PDF format to email@example.com, Ref: “Head of Programs – Syria” no later than 20.06.2021.
All applications will be kept confidential. Please note only shortlisted candidate will be contacted for further process.