Geneva Call is a neutral, impartial and independent international humanitarian organization, endeavours to strengthen the respect of international humanitarian norms and principles by armed actors, in order to improve the protection of civilians. Appel de Genève/Geneva Call is a private, not-for-profit, humanitarian organization foundation under Swiss law, founded in 2000.
Geneva Call is implementing a programme to improve the protection of civilians in Iraq through engagement with armed actors and raising the awareness of Iraqi civil society on international humanitarian norms.
The Head of Program will be based in Baghdad and in charge of:
- Coordinating, managing and implementing Geneva Call’s program on engaging armed actors and other stakeholders on protection of civilians within the framework of international humanitarian law and international human rights law in Iraq.
The Head of Program reports to the Head of Mission in Iraq.
Programme Management & Coordination
- Coordinate, develop and manage Iraq program in accordance with annual work plan and defined procedures of Geneva Call;
- Manage program staff and ensure timely reporting;
- Ensure effective flow of information and communication with partners and stakeholders and update Head of Mission (HoM) on latest developments;
- Organize regular meetings with the team to strengthen effective coordination and collaboration and promote teambuilding;
- Regularly conduct field missions and monitor activities to achieve desired program results in line with organizational requirements;
- Manage safe-keeping of information and data, including filing of program documents and materials;
- Support partners and joint projects as per approved plans and agreements and ensure timely liquidation of project expenditures;
- Liaise with partner organizations and stakeholders to ensure close cooperation, collaboration and coordination in the field;
- Analyze conflict and humanitarian situation on regular basis;
- Assist management team in engaging senior officials, military officers, relevant government officials and other key stakeholders;
- Engage local and international organizations regularly and consolidate friends of IHL Network;
- Assist in draft project reports and proposals in coordination with focal points from country office in Iraq and headquarter;
Human Resource Management
- Line manage programme staff according to Geneva Call’s policies and procedures;
- Assist in the recruitment and selection processes (including coaching and evaluation) of staff and consultants.
- Assess capacities of local partner organizations and provide appropriate trainings;
Planning, Monitoring & Reporting
- Develop programme work plan and budget in consultation with program team according to Geneva Call’s operational and MEAL procedures;
- Prepare regular monitoring reports and support MEAL officer in conducting internal programme evaluations and audits;
- Take lead in conducting annual review of programme/projects of responsibility.
- Refine programme strategy in consonance with political and security dynamics;
- Support programme and partner staff in implementation of MEAL system;
- Monitor the security situation vis-à-vis the program, prepare risk assessments and on advice of head of mission apply mitigation measures and follow up on incidents as necessary;
- Produce regular security updates and participate in bi annual security audit of the programme;
- Assist the HoM in representations and meetings and take lead in absence of HoM;
- Support management team in implementing communication strategy of Geneva Call in Iraq;
- Organize and prepare all programme related external communications in coordination with the Communication and Development Officer;
- Support Communication and Development Officer in in managing media relations in Iraq;
- Attend and represent Geneva Call as required at conferences, seminars and other foras of interest to the organisation;
- Perform any other tasks as assigned by the line manager;
- Advanced degree in international relations or International Humanitarian Law and Human Rights Law or political science or Social Sciences;
- Minimum 7 years relevant work experience in a humanitarian/human rights organization working in conflict areas, including managing a team of at least 8 people;
- High level program management skills including program planning, implementation, monitoring and evaluation;
- Strong writing, presentation, interpersonal, budgeting and finance monitoring skills;
- Strong presentational, writing and editing skills ;
- Demonstrable knowledge of issues of humanitarian affairs and capacity for political analysis;
- Very strong communication and people management skills;
- Strong logic and organizational skills, flexibility and adaptability to change;
- Report/proposal writing and Project management skills;
- High level negotiation and engagement skills;
- Excellent written and oral skills in English. Knowledge of Arabic and Kurdish language will be advantageous.
- High level of integrity and accountability;
- Natural affinity for networking and relationships building;
- Be exemplary in portraying Geneva Call’s values and ethics;
- Good team player and facilitator of team work;
- Sharing knowledge and encouraging the learning of others;
- Drive for results;
Conflict of interest:
Any candidate affiliated to or openly supporting one or more interest groups contrary to the principles and values of the Foundation, or whose previous activity could cause difficulties for the safety of women and men co-workers at Geneva Call will be excluded from this selection process.
Full time position (international), 100 % – 2 years contract
- Other than salary, housing and health/medical/accidental insurances will be provided with regular R&R benefits and annual return ticket to country of origin
- The position is based in Baghdad with regular travel to Erbil and within the country.
- Starting date:October2020
Online applications with letter of intent/Cover Letter and CV in PDF format, ref: “Head of Program” must be sent by 22nd Sep 2020 to: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Any application without a letter of intent/Cover letter will not be considered for the position.
- Please note only shortlisted candidate will be contacted for further process.
- Your application will be treated confidentially.
- Geneva Call is an equal opportunity employer.