Geneva Call is a neutral and impartial non-governmental organization dedicated to promoting respect by armed non-State actors (ANSAs) for international humanitarian norms in armed conflict and other situations of violence, in particular those related to the protection of civilians. Geneva Call is currently focusing its efforts on banning the use of anti-personnel mines, protecting children from the effects of armed conflict, prohibiting sexual violence in armed conflict and working towards the elimination of gender discrimination.
Geneva Call is a private, non-profit humanitarian organization founded in 1998 under Swiss law.
Geneva Call has been working Syria since 2012.
The Country Director provides vision and strategic direction to country program in Syria with the support of the operation coordinator for Syria. This includes the qualitative implementation of Geneva Call’s humanitarian response, advocacy, fundraising, staff and assets security management and representation. The country Director reports directly to the Head of Region.
Strategy and program implementation:
- Lead on development of country strategy;
- Analyse of the humanitarian and security situation in country and identify areas of interests of work for Geneva Call;
- Ensure conflict sensitivity in country programs’ design and planning;
- Provide leadership, and management, against Geneva Call tri annual strategy;
- Ensure that programs are monitored and evaluated
- Utilizes the results to inform program decisions and enhance institutional knowledge
- Act as a focal person for contact between Country office and the HQ
Safety and security management
- Overall responsible for security of GC staff and premises in country;
- Responsible for implementing GC security frame in country;
- Responsible for analysing, anticipating and managing risks that could threaten the safety of the staff, operational viability and the organization’s reputation.
Mission Management & Coordination
- Overall responsible for all resources and implementation of programs and activities in country
- Build partnerships and represents GC;
- Manage staff, budget, finance assets and funding as per donors and GC procedures and national requirements;
- Ensure the mobilization of necessary resources (registration or renewal of registration in country, logistics, HR…) to implement the country program and contribute to the growth of the missions;
- Overall development and supervision of country teams (including coaching and evaluating) in accordance with internal policies and procedures and national labour laws;
- Promote and creates a culture to ensure knowledge sharing, innovation and capacity building and further professional development opportunities for all staff in appropriate fields;
- Communicate regularly with staff and promote positive conflict resolution.
- Ensure that Geneva Call’s work in Syria is adequately funded;
- Build relationships with external donors and proactively identify new donors;
- Develop and implement a country fundraising strategy that contributes to achieving the overall aim of Geneva Call in the field of humanitarian engagement for enhanced civilian protection;
- Approve all technical and financial proposals before submission to donors and ensures they are contextual and address specific needs.
Representation and advocacy
- Represent Geneva Call in Syria with external audiences at the most senior level, including with humanitarian actors, diplomats, and ministries;
- Build alliances and networks within the humanitarian sector;
- Active role in support of the protection cluster.
A graduate degree or equivalent experience in international relations/another humanitarian field. Knowledge of International Humanitarian Law (IHL) or International Human Right Law is an asset.
- Proven experience in project management ( PCM ), quality control mechanisms including budget, HR, process, report, management & MEAL;
- Experience of remote management of staff;
- At least 7 years of relevant experience in a humanitarian organization working in conflict areas, including in managing teams of at least 10 persons
- Demonstrable experience of engaging with ANSAs would be an asset;
- Proven track record of field work experience with INGOs in development and emergency contexts
- Experience of successfully fundraising and dealing with institutional donors and international donors
- Field experience combined with a good knowledge of the political and social aspects of the Syrian context.
- Strong organizational and analytical skills;
- Established network in country of operation;
- Previous experience from working in complex and volatile contexts
- Outstanding interpersonal and diplomatic skills with experience of negotiations with weapon-bearers and other high-level stakeholders. Demonstrable experience of dialoguing with armed actors would be an asset
Excellent English and Arabic skills (written and oral).
Conflict of interest
Any candidate affiliated to, or openly supporting, one or more interest groups opposed to the Foundation’s principles and values, or whose previous position could engender safety issues for co-workers at Appel de Genève / Geneva Call, will be excluded from this selection process.
- Position : Country Director 100%
- Based in Erbil
- Preferred start date : ASAP
To apply, please send your cover letter, CV, contact information of references, proof of non-criminal record in PDF format to email@example.com, Ref: “CD Syria” no later than April 30th, 2020.
All applications will be kept confidential. Please note only shortlisted candidate will be contacted for further process.