About Geneva Call:
In situations of armed conflict and violence, Geneva Call (GC), as a neutral, impartial and independent international humanitarian organisation, endeavours to strengthen the respect of humanitarian norms and principles by armed non-State actors, in order to improve the protection of civilians, while supporting local communities in their efforts to enhance their own protection.
GC is currently focusing its efforts the following thematic areas under the umbrella of international humanitarian norms – banning the use of anti-personnel mines, protecting children and education, prohibiting sexual violence and gender discrimination, prohibition of forced displacement, protection of cultural heritage and the protection of health care – all in the context of armed conflict and violence.
Geneva Call consists of many diverse nationalities, cultures, languages and opinions. Geneva Call is an inclusive working environment for all its staff. Applications are particularly encouraged from all qualified candidates without distinction on the grounds of race, colour, sex, national origin, age, religion, disability, sexual orientation and gender identity.
Mission: In Myanmar, Geneva Call runs a multi-donor country program focusing on enhancing the protection of civilian population through humanitarian engagement with fighting parties and constituencies. The multipronged program encompasses direct and indirect humanitarian engagement, training, local advocacy, and mass-media awareness raising on humanitarian norms applicable in armed conflict.
Role: To provide vision and strategic direction to country program in Myanmar. This includes the qualitative implementation of Geneva Call’s humanitarian response (humanitarian engagement, research, community-based approach), fundraising and representation.
To provide vision and strategic direction to Geneva Call’s country program in Myanmar. This includes the qualitative implementation of Geneva Call’s humanitarian response (humanitarian engagement, research, community-based approach), advocacy, fund-raising and representation.
Strategy and programme implementation:
- Analysis the humanitarian and security situation in country and identify strategic opportunities for Geneva Call
- Leads on development of humanitarian engagement country strategy driven by humanitarian principles and conflict sensitivity
- Provide leadership, quality delivery, management, monitoring, evaluation and learning of the country program, against Geneva Call mulit-year strategy
- Ensure sharing of learning with others and drawing on learning from across Geneva Call and externally, utilizes the results to inform program decisions and enhance institutional knowledge
- Ensure that Geneva Call’s Myanmar country program is delivered in a safe and secure manner.
- Responsible for anticipating and managing risks that could threaten the safety of the staff, operational viability, and the organization’s reputation. Responsible for managing security in line with Geneva Call’s Policy.
Mission Management & Coordination
- Manages staff, budget, assets, and funding as per procedures and national requirements with cost efficiency
- Ensures transparent and timely financial management respecting deadline and procedures
- Ensures the mobilization of necessary resources (financial, logistics, HR) to implement the country programs and contribute to the growth of the mission
- Identify human resources needs, recruit, and ensure induction
- Overall development and supervision of country teams (including coaching and evaluating) in accordance with internal policies and procedures and national labour laws
- Promotes and creates a culture to ensure knowledge sharing, innovation and capacity building and further professional development opportunities for all staff in appropriate fields
- Communicate regularly with staff and promote positive conflict resolution
- Develop and implement a country fundraising strategy that contributes to achieving the overall aim of Geneva Call in the field of humanitarian engagement for enhanced civilian protection
- Ensures that Geneva Call’s work in Myanmar is adequately funded.
- Build relationships of work and trust with external donors and proactively identify new donors in country and within the region
- Approves all technical and financial proposals before submission to donors and ensures they are contextual and address specific needs
Communications and advocacy
Represents Geneva Call in Myanmar and within the region. Works with internal and external audiences at the most senior level to influence and inform decision-makers and opinion leaders in country and within the international community in Myanmar ; Build alliances and networks within the humanitarian sector.
Striving for excellence: Focusing on reaching results while ensuring efficient processes
Collaborating: Involving relevant parties and encouraging feedback
Taking the lead: Taking ownership and initiative while aiming for innovation
Communicating: Listening and speaking effectively and honestly
Demonstrating integrity: Upholding and promoting the highest standards of ethical and professional conduct in relation to our values.
Minimum 10 years equivalent work experience in managing multi donor humanitarian programs, including in managing teams of at least 10 people including expat;
Experience of capacity building and mentoring, team leadership and management.
Demonstrated skills and experience in security management.
Outstanding interpersonal skills with experience of negotiations with weapon-bearers and other high-level stakeholders.
Ability to work under pressure, travel frequently in conflict-affected areas and to handle numerous tasks simultaneously
A relevant master is required
Knowledge of International Humanitarian Law (IHL) or International Human Right Law is an asset
- Position : Country Director
- National / International contract, based in Yangon, Myanmar
To apply, please send your cover letter, CV, in PDF format to email@example.com, Ref: “HOM MYANMAR” no later than October 24, 2021. All applications will be kept confidential. Please note only shortlisted candidate will be contacted for further process.