In situations of armed conflict, Geneva Call, as a neutral, impartial and independent international humanitarian organization, endeavors to strengthen the respect of humanitarian norms and principles by armed non-State actors, in order to improve the protection of civilians, while supporting local communities in their efforts to enhance their own protection. Appel de Genève/Geneva Call is a private, not-for-profit, humanitarian organization foundation under Swiss law, founded in 1998.
Geneva Call consists of many diverse nationalities, cultures, languages and opinions. Geneva Call is an inclusive working environment for all its staff. Applications are particularly encouraged from all qualified candidates without distinction on the grounds of race, colour, sex, national origin, age, religion, disability, sexual orientation and gender identity.
Providing support and assistance to the Donor Relations and External Communication Unit in implementing activities related to communication and fundraising efforts.
- Ensure the quality and timeliness of supporting documentation.
- Produce communication materials, maintain and develop Geneva Call’s communication tools.
- Assist in organizing events.
- Provide research and data on communication and fundraising trends upon request.
- Track input indicators of Geneva Call’s communication and fundraising activities.
Support in communication activities:
- Contribute to draft texts and articles, press releases and communiques, leaflets, web stories, presentational materials, brochures and leaflets, notably in English and French.
- Design and layout as required of stationary, brochures, reports, newsletters, website development / maintenance, etc.
- Help to ensure a strong visual image for Geneva Call, research appropriate images, ensure copyright questions, design and/or maintain Geneva Call’s photo and video library.
- Participate in the decentralization efforts for communication, including by helping with the development of tools and the training of field colleagues.
- Ensure the development and maintenance of internal communication tools.
- Support Operations in their field communications actions and material.
- Contribute to providing insight into Geneva Call’s operations and humanitarian concerns. Help drafting, pitching or writing talking points, story ideas, interviews, press releases, selected social media posts, blog entries or other editorial content.
- Support the monitoring of web and social media channels and the creation of social media reporting including statistics and analysis.
- Provide advice and support to Management and staff regarding content writing, design and production of communication tools, templates and material (website, social media, incl. Google, LinkedIn and Facebook campaigns, newsletter, video, animation, events, printed material, presentations, speeches, etc.).
Support in organizing events organized by the Department
- Take part in both offline and online event-planning, including the creation of sponsorship visibility packages.
- Prepare invitations and liaise with invitees for logistics issues.
- Make bookings for catering, accommodation and transport.
- Coordinate venue management and related services.
- Prepare material and logistics for the participants.
- The post holder will carry out any other reasonable activities as required by line management.
- Strong presentational, writing and editing skills in English and French, including competencies in writing for the web
- Demonstrable knowledge of issues of humanitarian affairs and capacity for political analysis
- Very strong communication and people skills
- Knowledge of the layout and quality control process for a variety of publications, and knowledge of printing requirements
- Ability and interest to work in a multi-lingual and multi-cultural environment.
- Digital literacy
- Event organization and event management skills
- Strong logic and organizational skills
- Project management skills
- Experience in a similar position desirable
- Demonstrated experience of professional use of social media preferable.
- Event organization and event management experience a plus
- Master Degree in communication, journalism, public relations, marketing or a related field, or other education if well-motivated
- Proficient with MS Office, graphic design software and website software
- Excellent written and oral English and French
- A relevant third language would be an advantage (eg Spanish, Arabic, German)
- Resourcefulness and autonomy
- High level of integrity and accountability
- Natural affinity for networking and relationship building
- Be exemplary in portraying Geneva Call’s values and ethics
- Good team player and facilitator of team work
- Drive for results
- Ability to adapt and be flexible in a dynamic work environment
- Organized, attentive to detail, and with a positive and professional demeanour
- Availability to travel
Conflict of interest
Any candidate affiliated to, or openly supporting, one or more interest groups opposed to the Foundation’s principles and values, or whose previous position could engender safety issues for co-workers at Appel de Genève / Geneva Call, will be excluded from this selection process.
The employee will be accountable for the responsibilities and the competencies, in accordance with the Geneva Call Performance Management guidelines. The following documents will be used for performance reviews:
- Job Description
- Action plan
- Performance Review Template
- Position : Communication assistant
- Open-ended contract, based in Geneva
- Preferred start date : 06.2021
To apply, please send your cover letter, CV, work certificate / recommendation letter and diploma in PDF format to firstname.lastname@example.org, Ref: “Communication Assistant” no later than 31.05.2021.
All applications will be kept confidential. Please note only shortlisted candidate will be contacted for further process.