In situations of armed conflict, Geneva Call, as a neutral, impartial and independent international humanitarian organization, endeavors to strengthen the respect of humanitarian norms and principles by armed non-State actors, in order to improve the protection of civilians, while supporting local communities in their efforts to enhance their own protection. Appel de Genève/Geneva Call is a private, not-for-profit, humanitarian organization foundation under Swiss law, founded in 1998.
Under the supervision of the Operation Director, the Head of Sahel Region is responsible to lead attributed regions within GC Operations.
The Head of Sahel Region works in close collaboration with all the operation teams and Support Services.
Leading GC Operations at regional level:
- Analyse regional strategic-level trends related to armed conflicts and other situations of violence, and broader geo-political developments to support the achievement of Geneva Call’s overall objectives.
- Initiate and develop operations according to Geneva Call’s operational frameworks and means.
- Contribute to Geneva Call’s new operational framework agenda particularly regarding the responsibilities’ devolution to the field to increase the organization’s agility and effectiveness by creating field structures and accompanying their development.
- Ensure the appropriate design, implementation, monitoring, review, and evaluation of Geneva Call’s regional field operations, in line with Geneva Call programmatic guidelines (with a focus on plans and results management).
Ensure adequate funding and use of region’s resources:
- Responsible of ensuring that all projects and programmes in the region are being adequately financed. Responsible for the overall budget for the concerned region.
- Explore fundraising opportunities at regional level and ensure the follow up with the Fundraising department.
Develop and maintain high level regional stakeholders’ network:
- Maintain and strengthen Geneva Call’s role as a neutral, impartial and independent humanitarian actor, positioning the organization and its operations within the region to gain maximum access to ANSAs, influential stakeholders and affected populations.
- Engage frequently with high-level stakeholders such as ANSA leadership, State authorities, political and religious leaders, international organisations to secure appropriate support for Geneva Call operations.
- Actively contribute to Geneva Call’s public communication, raising awareness about the work of the organization in a way that reinforces our influence, access and response.
Develop and maintain safety and security of region:
- Ensure that Geneva Call staff is working safely and in accordance with the appropriate security guidelines.
- Make sure that duty of care is applied when working with other partners.
- Set up and lead security crisis cells whenever needed with the Director of Operations’ support and concerned support departments as per security guidelines.
Contribute to GC global direction:
- As a member of the management team led by the Director of Operations, help to define the general direction and overall strategy of Geneva Call operations. Ensure the implementation of priorities outlined in the organization’s institutional strategy. Work closely with other Heads of Regions – Units and participate in workshops and other internal meetings as appropriate.
- Identify staffing needs, assist in the recruitment process and manage staff assigned to the region.
- Ensure a good work environment and management tools are implemented.
Educational and previous experience
- You hold advanced degree in International Relations or International Humanitarian Law and Human Rights Law, political sciences, or a related professional experience.
- You have proven experience in Sahel Region.
- You have at least 10 years of managerial experience in a humanitarian organization with a focus on protection of civilians, prevention.
- You have experience working in conflict areas and managing teams of at least 20 people.
- Demonstrable experience of engaging with ANSAs would be an asset.
- You are fluent in French and English, Other language is a plus.
- Solid project management skills related to organizational development projects and international, cross-functional teams with a proven history of delivering results.
- Excellent dispute resolution, facilitation and team building skills.
- Substantial knowledge of international development systems, institutions and donors, and of procedures, accountability frameworks and best practices.
- Robust experience in developing and implementing organizational vision and strategies.
- Demonstrated ability to thrive in a matrix management environment. Highly developed interpersonal and communication skills including influencing, negotiation and coaching.
- Strong communications skills (both written and verbal) at a level appropriate for high level external representation and ability to tailor communications to different audiences.
- Outstanding interpersonal skills with experience of negotiation with weapon bearers and other high level stakeholders.
The Head of Sahel Region will be accountable for the responsibilities and the competencies, in accordance with the Geneva Call Performance Management guidelines. The following documents will be used for performance reviews:
- Job Description
- Action plan
- Performance Review Template
- Position : Head of Sahel Region
- Open-ended contract
- Preferred start date: August 1st 2021 .
To apply, please send your cover letter, CV, work certificate / recommendation letter and diploma in PDF format to firstname.lastname@example.org, Ref: “Head of Sahel Region” no later than 26th May 2021.
All applications will be kept confidential. Please note only shortlisted candidate will be contacted for further processing.
Conflict of interest
Any candidate affiliated to, or openly supporting, one or more interest groups opposed to the Foundation’s principles and values, or whose previous position could engender safety issues for co-workers at Geneva Call, will be excluded from this selection process.