Geneva Call is a neutral and impartial non-governmental organization dedicated to promoting respect by armed non-State actors (ANSAs) for international humanitarian norms in armed conflict and other situations of violence, in particular those related to the protection of civilians. Geneva Call is currently focusing its efforts on banning the use of anti-personnel mines, protecting children from the effects of armed conflict, prohibiting sexual violence in armed conflict and working towards the elimination of gender discrimination.
Geneva Call is a private, not-for-profit humanitarian organization founded in 1998 under Swiss law.
In DRC, Geneva Call runs a multi-donor country program focusing on enhancing the protection of civilian population through humanitarian engagement with fighting parties and constituencies. The multi-pronged program encompasses direct and indirect humanitarian engagement, training, local advocacy and mass media awareness raising on humanitarian norms applicable in armed conflict.
We are looking for a professional and dedicated national or international Head of Mission to run our country program in DRC
The CD will provide overall leadership, technical oversight, management and strategic vision of the humanitarian engagement program of Geneva Call in DRC while strengthening accountability initiatives and ensuring that the financial management and organizational setup is adapted to the operational context, as well as to internal and external compliance demands.
To provide vision and strategic direction to country program in DRC. This includes the qualitative implementation of Geneva Call’s humanitarian response (humanitarian engagement, research, community-based approach), advocacy, fundraising and representation.
Strategy and programme implementation:
- Leads on development of humanitarian engagement country strategy;
- Analysis the humanitarian and security situation in country and identify areas of interests of work for Geneva Call;
- Ensure conflict sensitivity in country programs’ design and planning;
- Provide leadership, quality delivery, management, monitoring, evaluation and learning of the country program, against Geneva Call multi-year strategy;
- Ensures that programs are monitored and evaluated. Promotes sharing of learning with others and drawing on learning from across Geneva Call and externally, utilizes the results to inform program decisions and enhance institutional knowledge;
- Ensure that the GC DRC country programmes are delivered in a safe and secure manner.
- Responsible for anticipating and managing risks that could threaten the safety of the staff, operational viability and the organization’s reputation. Responsible for managing security in line with Geneva Call’s Policy.
Mission Management & Coordination
- Overall responsible for all resources and implementation of programs and activities within Country
- Builds partnerships and represents GC.
- Manages staff, budget, assets and funding as per procedures and national requirements;
- Ensures transparent and timely financial management respecting deadline and procedures;
- Ensures the mobilization of necessary resources (financial, logistics, HR) to implement the country programs and contribute to the growth of the missions;
- Identify human resources needs, recruit, and ensure induction;
- Overall development and supervision of country teams (including coaching and evaluating) in accordance with internal policies and procedures and national labour laws;
- Promotes and creates a culture to ensure knowledge sharing, innovation and capacity building and further professional development opportunities for all staff in appropriate fields;
- Communicate regularly with staff and promote positive conflict resolution;
- Ensures that Geneva Call’s work in DRC is adequately funded. Build relationships with external donors and proactively identify new donors in the two countries;
- Develop and implement a country fundraising strategy that contributes to achieving the overall aim of Geneva Call in the field of humanitarian engagement for enhanced civilian protection;
- Approves all technical and financial proposals before submission to donors and ensures they are contextual and address specific needs;
Communications and advocacy
- Represents Geneva Call in DRC. Working with internal and external audiences at the most senior level to influence and inform decision-makers and opinion leaders in country and within the international community in DRC; Build alliances and networks within the humanitarian sector.
- A relevant master is required;
- Knowledge of International Humanitarian Law (IHL) or International Human Right Law is an asset;
- Minimum 5 years equivalent work experience in a humanitarian organization, including in managing teams of at least 20 people;
- Experience of capacity building and mentoring, team leadership and management;
- Demonstrated skills and experience in security management;
- Strong organizational and analytical skills;
- Solid diplomatic skills with ability to communicate with high level interlocutors;
- Established network in country of operation;
- Passionate about political and security affairs in the region;
- Previous experience from working in complex and volatile contexts
- Understanding and respect for organizational principles, vision, mission and confidentiality
- Ability to take responsibility, proactive and efficient functioning, strong communication skills
- Ability to work in a team and multicultural environment;
- Full professional proficiency in English
- Professional proficiency in French.
Conflict of interest
Any candidate affiliated to, or openly supporting, one or more interest groups opposed to the Foundation’s principles and values, or whose previous position could engender safety issues for co-workers at Geneva Call, will be excluded from this selection process.
- Position: 100%
- Full-time international contract, based in Goma, DRC, with frequent travel within the country and the region
- Preferred start date: 01.06.2021
To apply, please send your CV in PDF format, at least two professional references contacts to firstname.lastname@example.org , Ref: “CD DRC ” no later than 25/04/2021.
All applications will be kept confidential. Please note only shortlisted candidate will be contacted for further process.